The Immigration Law Firm of New Orleans
(504) 931-5355 (504) 931-5355
Main Menu Practice Areas Menu

What does immigration law say about adjusting your status?

After spending time here in New Orleans on one of many different visas, an individual may decide that he or she wants to stay here on a more permanent basis. In order to do so, a status change will need to be made by filing a petition to immigrate. This is done through an immigration law process and may result in the receipt of a green card for those who qualify.

In order to make a status adjustment, the individual would need to have entered the country legally and be physically present in the United States when the petition is filed. Another party may be required to file the petition for the individual depending on the circumstances. It may be possible to file the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status at the same time as the petition is filed.

Thereafter, a submission of biometrics data may be required. This includes fingerprints, photographs and other information used to conduct the necessary security background checks. An in-person interview may also be necessary. Once all of the required steps are completed, the only thing left to do is wait for a decision. For many people, this may be the most difficult part.

The process may seem simple as outlined herein, but it can quickly get complex. Missing even one document could delay the process or even result in a denial. It may be beneficial to consult with a Louisiana immigration law attorney in the New Orleans area for help with this important step toward becoming a permanent resident -- and perhaps a naturalized citizen -- of the United States.

Source: FindLaw, "Adjustment of Status to Stay in the U.S.", Accessed on Aug. 19, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information